During my crazy must-buy-all-the-cane-chairs shopping spree I found this chair for $35 bucks. I knew I was going to update it so it being a terrible mauve color didn’t much matter. The upholstery is perfect and frankly reupholstering it seemed like a waste. To figure out what to do I went to our trusty friend: Pinterest!
I poured hot water into the spray bottle with half a packet of dye. I added a bit of vinegar to the bottle to help set the dye into the fabric. Slipped on some gloves and got to work.
After 1 coat I let the chair dry for an hour and a half. When I went back to check on the chair started to have a purple tint to it. hmmm…
On to coat 2. With my gloves on I worked the dye into the chair as much as I could.
After 2 coats the chair has a deep purple color to it. Not at all was this the look I was going for. Sooooo the new plan is black…. because purple is NOT the new black.