$3 Lampshape Revival

Back when I lived alone and was decorating my studio I bought these lamps and lampshades. They clearly don’t go together and it was never my intention to leave them their original colors. The lamp was on clearance for only $5.50 and the lampshade was $3. Not too bad for good quality right? I loved the shapes of both and really that is all the matters when you are a DIYer.

lampshade before

Life got away from me and I never found the time to change them until this past weekend. I was going to just cover the lampshades with burlap and call it a day. Except in a light test I discovered that the flower pattern shown right through the burlap, and it looked all wrong.

On to Plan B the easy way out was to just paint the lampshades. I bought a can of spray-on fabric paint ($7) and got started on one of the shades. After three coats (an entire can) and a day in between each coat for it to dry I knew this wasn’t going to work. You can’t see it in the picture but the paint kept repelling off of the flowers.

photo 3

Since I wasn’t willing to spend any more on paint I came up with Plan C and Plan C was the winner!

I drove on over to my local Joann’s and picked up some twine. I was completely guessing how much I would need so I just grabbed 2 spools. They were $2.99 each (in store, the online price is $3.19 for some reason)… and of course I am cheap so I used a 40% coupon which made on of them only $1.79, yay.

When I got home I got out the hot glue gun and plugged it in. Normally I stay away from hot glue because I feel like it is more of a temporary glue, but seeing as how these lamps are not in danger of being man handled a whole lot I didn’t see that it would be much of a problem (I will update you all if the hot glue ever becomes unstuck.) I started at the top because it was the most complicated part of the lampshade. For the first row I went just under the bars to try and cover up any potential ugliness that may occur.

As the bars came up I just looped the twine around each, applied hot glue and smooched the twine in nicely. It ended up covering the original fabric completely.

photo 1

From there I just kept wrapping it around. I glued along the entire length of the first 10 rows or so and then just periodically from then on until the last inch or so. At the bottom I resumed the task of gluing the entire length of each row.

photo 5 (1)

One spool of twine was perfect I mine perfect, down to the last inch for my lampshades. If yours are any bigger then you will definitely want 2.

Lampshade almost done

To finish it off I cut the extra run away hot glue that escaped from behind the twine. And done!

lampshade done

Here is the light test. I didn’t want the light to get through, because I knew if it did the flower pattern would as well and that was not the look I was going for.

photo 2 (1)

My little pieces of advice are 1) pull the string from the middle of the roll so that you don’t have to worry about it rolling all around. 2) Untwist the twine as you go. I hope this will make more sense when you have it in your hands but it will cover more area if it is laying flat. 3) Don’t worry when the twine is a little lopsided on the lampshade. It should even itself out by the end. 4) If you are right handed wrap the twine clockwise. I don’t know why but it was so much easier to wrap it going clockwise. For the second one without thinking I started it counterclockwise and it was really frustrating until I cut the twine and restarted going clockwise. Sounds weird but it made a world of a difference for the ease factor.



One response to “$3 Lampshape Revival

  1. Pingback: DIY Drawer Pulls (leg 1) | Last Legs Blog·

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s